Historic Bemis, Tennessee
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
A cotton mill town constructed in 1900
“Where Industry and Friendliness Blend Into Progress”
Located off Highway 45 South, Jackson, Tennessee 38301
Home of the Bemis Mill Village Museum
(formerly the Bemis Auditorium)
An Official Project of Save America’s Treasures
2 North Missouri Street, Jackson, Tennessee 38301
PO Box 9266, Jackson, TN 38314-9266
Please call to schedule a museum tour
or to ask questions about the museum.
731-499-2229 R. Gaugh
731-225-6938 K. Williams
BEMIS HERITAGE DAY 2021
Bemis Heritage Day was held on Saturday, May 15, 2021, at the Bemis Mill Village Museum which was built in 1921-1922 as the Bemis Auditorium. The centennial celebration has begun to honor this beautiful building located at 2 North Missouri Street in Jackson, TN (formerly Bemis, TN).
Museum doors opened at 10:00 a.m. with free admission. Visitors browsed the museum to visit with friends and to view artifacts and vintage photos. The museum’s Company Store had a successful day with visitors purchasing our cookbook, coloring book, keepsake hand-held fan, historical ornaments, baseball caps (Historic Bemis and Chat ‘N Chew), DVDs of vintage photos, and other items listed on our website.
May 15 was Armed Forces Day; and at 10:30 a.m., there was a dedication of the new flagpole and flag of the United States in memory and honor of all United States veterans at the Bemis Mill Memorial Park located at 7 A Street which is a short walk across the street from the museum.
From 10:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., Bobby McAlexander displayed his very impressive and detailed ceramic replica of the Chat ‘N Chew, a well-known hangout, that was located beside South Side High School on South Highland Avenue from 1958 until 1978. Chat ‘N Chew’s address was listed as 1624 Bemis Highway in the “Jackson City Directory 1960.”
Barbecue plate lunches were enjoyed under the tents on the front lawn of the museum beginning at 11:00 a.m. The Bemis Boogie Blues Band provided lively music from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s performed by Willi X Evans, Newt Russ Hall, Steve Patterson, Tony McCaslin, and Bobby Cleary.
Memories of the Chat ‘N Chew were shared in the museum from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. and were led by Sandra Morgan Williams who received a $25 savings bond in 1958 for submitting the winning entry to name the drive-in restaurant.
The splash pad at the Bemis Mill Memorial Park and the playground at the Stella Duncan Park of Bemis on South Missouri Street were open for the children. Games were enjoyed at the museum for children and the young at heart. The staff from Jackson’s Recreation & Parks Department assisted with games of washers, corn hole, and horse shoes along with craft activities for the children.
Bemis Historical Society enjoyed sharing our Bemis heritage on May 15. We hope you will attend our monthly meetings.
Like our Facebook page: The Bemis Museum.
Bemis Historical Society meets the third Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. at the Bemis Mill Village Museum (February, March, April, June, July, August, September, October, November).
BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2021-2022
Chairman, Joel Jackson
Vice Chairman, Kathy Haney Williams
Secretary, Robert Gaugh
Treasurer, Anita Roark
Annual dues are $25 for an individual or family membership.
Please continue to support the projects
of the Bemis Historical Society by forwarding dues to:
Bemis Historical Society
PO Box 9266
Jackson, TN 38314-9266
BEMIS MILL MEMORIAL PARK
Ribbon Cutting – May 18, 2019
BHS Chairman Joel Jackson & Councilwoman Vicky Mayo Foote
Bemis Mill Memorial Park – May 18, 2019
City of Jackson Mayor Jerry Gist & BHS Chairman Joel Jackson
Proclamation by City of Jackson, TN Mayor Jerry Gist
City of Jackson Mayor Jerry Gist – Ribbon Cutting
Ribbon Cutting by City of Jackson, TN Mayor Jerry Gist